Motor tax - TextDjawebInfo

Motor tax

Jump to navigation


Wexford County Council


Motor Tax Exemptions

Vehicles exempt from paying motor tax

A current tax disc must still be displayed at all times.

  • State-owned vehicles,
  • Diplomatic vehicles,
  • Vehicles exempted under the Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers (Tax Concessions) Regulations, 1994 (S.I. No. 353 of 1994),
  • Vehicles (including any cycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power) not exceeding 400 kilograms in weight unladen adapted and used for invalids,
  • Vehicles which are used exclusively for the transport (whether by carriage or traction) of lifeboats and their gear or any equipment for affording assistance towards the preservation of life and property in cases of ship-wreck and distress at sea,
  • Vehicles which are used exclusively for mountain and cave rescue purposes,
  • Vehicles which are used exclusively for the transport (whether by carriage or traction) of road construction machinery used for no purpose other than the construction or repair of roads,
  • Refuse carts, sweeping machines or watering machines used exclusively for cleansing public streets and roads,
  • Ambulances, road-rollers or fire engines,
  • Vehicles kept by a local authority and used exclusively for the purpose of their fire brigade service.

Taxing an Exempt Vehicle 

To tax a new or imported exempt vehicle you will need:

  • Completed form RF100
  • Evidence of Exempt Status (e.g. Disabled Driver’s Certificate) unless recorded as exempt at the vehicle registration stage
  • Insurance Details

To tax a used vehicle as exempt you will need:

  • Completed Form RF111
  • Evidence of Exempt Status (as above)
  • Registration Certificate/Brown Logbook
  • Insurance Details

Change of tax class from exempt to private 

If you have bought a previously exempt vehicle you will need to carry out the following

  • Complete form RF111
  • Registration Certificate or Brown Logbook (vehicles pre 1993)
  • Appropriate Fee
  • Insurance Details
  • The exempt disc should also be surrendered

Note: At change of ownership stage on an exempt vehicle, the tax class changes to private and the current tax disc becomes null and void. The new owner is then liable for the tax from the first day of the month in which the sale took place.


English Gaeilge

How can we improve this page? Contact Us


  • Motor Tax
    • Contacts, Opening Hours, Forms and Rates
      • Contact Details & Opening Hours
      • Motor Tax Forms
      • Motor Tax Rates & Arrears
    • Tax Your Vehicle
      • Private Vehicles
      • Goods Vehicles, Articulated Vehicles
      • Buses and Public Service Vehicles
      • Motor Tax Exemptions
      • Weighbridge
    • Off the Road Declaration
    • Tax Refunds and Vehicle Scrappage
      • Refunds
      • Scrapping A Vehicle
    • Change of Owner / Vehicle Details
      • Sale to a Private Owner
      • Sale to a Motor Dealer or Garage
      • Change of vehicle particulars
    • Lost Documents
    • Driving Licences and Tests
      • Apply for Driving and Driver Theory Tests
      • Driving Licence
    • Your Motor Tax PIN
  • Planning
    • Search Planning Applications
    • Development and Local Area Plans
      • Current Plans
        • Wexford County Development Plan
        • Wexford Town & Environs Development Plan
        • Enniscorthy Town Development Plan
          • Enniscorthy T&E Plan 2008
          • Variation No. 1 – Enniscorthy T&E Plan
          • Variation No. 2 – Enniscorthy T&E Plan
        • Gorey Local Area Plan 2017-23
        • New Ross Town & Environs Development Plan
        • Clonroche Local Area Plan
        • Courtown & Riverchapel Local Area Plan
        • Taghmon Local Area Plan
        • Public Realm Plans
        • Flood Risk Management Plan
      • Expired Plans
        • Bunclody Local Area Plan 2009-2015
        • County Development Plan 2001 – 2006
        • County Development Plan 2007-2013
        • County Development Plan 2007-2013 (Irish)
        • County Development Plan 2007-2013 – Review
        • Draft Wexford County Development Plan 2013-2019
        • Draft County Development Plan 2013-19 – Proposed Amendments
        • Coolgreany Local Area Plan 2002
        • Courtown Local Area Plan 2002
        • Curracloe Local Area Plan 2004
        • Duncannon Local Area Plan 2004
        • Enniscorthy Town & Environs Plan 2001 – 2007
        • Ferns Local Area Plan 2009-2015
        • Gorey Local Area Plan 2010
        • Draft Gorey Local Area Plan 2017-23
        • New Ross Town & Environs 2004
        • New Ross Town Plan 2004 – Variation 1
        • Rosslare Harbour & Kilrane Local Area Plan
        • Rosslare Harbour Local Area Plan 2002
        • Wexford Town & Environs Plan 2002
        • Review of Wexford Town & Environs Plan 2009-15
    • Planning Applications
      • Apply for Planning Permission
      • Preplanning
      • Exempted Development
      • Planning Fees and Contributions
        • Planning Fees
        • Planning Contributions
      • Planning Lists
        • Planning Lists for 2018
        • Planning Lists for 2017
        • Planning Lists for 2003 to 2016
      • Newspaper Notices
        • Approved Newspapers
        • Newspaper Ad – Sample Wording
      • Observations and Submissions
      • Site Suitability Testing
      • Ordnance Survey Ireland
      • Planning Appeal
      • Quarrying in Wexford
    • Other Reports and Resources
      • Planning Guidelines
      • Socio-Economic Profiles – AIRO 2018
    • Built Heritage
      • Protected Structures
      • Grants for Protected Structures
        • Wexford County Council Grants for Protected Structures
        • Grants Available from other Sources for Protected Structures
    • Planning Enforcement
    • Building Control
      • Unfinished Housing Developments
        • A Guide for Residents of Unfinished Housing Developments
        • Stakeholders Code of Practice
      • Disability Access Certificate (DAC)
        • Apply for a Disability Access Certificate
        • Apply for a Revised Disability Access Certificate
        • Common Questions – Disability Access Certificate
        • Exemptions for Certain School
      • Taking in Charge
        • Apply to have your estate taken in charge
        • List of taken in charge estates
        • Services provided to a taken in charge estate
      • Commencement Notices
      • Derelict & Vacant Sites
    • Opening Hours, Contact Details & Forms
  • Libraries
    • Search Library Catalogue
    • Search for and renew your books
    • Opening Hours and Branches
      • Wexford Town Library
      • Gorey Library
      • Enniscorthy Library
      • Bunclody Library
      • New Ross Library
      • Mobile Library
    • Whats on in my Library?
      • Booking and use of Public Library Spaces
    • Join the Library
      • Library Fees and Charges
      • Library Membership and Terms & Conditions
      • Libraries Data Protection Privacy Statement
    • eBooks and eResources
      • eBooks and eAudio books – BorrowBox App
      • eMagazines – RBdigital
      • Take an Online Course with Universal Class
      • Learn a Language – Mango App
      • eMusic – Freegal Music
      • PressReader
      • International Newspapers – ProQuest Service
      • Oral History Recordings
        • County Wexford Oral History Project
        • Southend Maritime Heritage Oral History Project
      • Digital Local Collection
      • Reference Material and Online Databases
    • More Library Services
      • Children and Young People
        • Parenting Today
        • Summer Stars Reading Adventure
        • Storytime and Reading Groups for Children & Young People
        • School Services
        • Activities
        • Child Safety
      • Computer & Printing Services
        • Computer Services
        • Print from Home, collect at your Local Library!
        • Print from a Library Branch Computer
      • Local Studies Service
        • Wexford County Archive
      • Readers and Writers Groups
      • 3D printing
      • Library Newsletter – Sign up!
  • Roads, Travel & Parking
    • Road Issues and Complaints
      • Get alerts for your area.
      • Report a Road Fault
      • Latest Road Notices
      • Temporary road closures
    • National Roads Projects
      • M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy
        • Project Information
        • Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
      • N11/N25 Oilgate Rosslare Harbour
        • Maps
        • Project Information
        • Route Selection and Constraints Study Reports
      • N25 New Ross Bypass
        • Environmental Impact Statement (EIS)
        • Naming of Bridge on N25 New Ross Bypass
        • Project Information
      • N30 Moneytucker to New Ross Project
        • Project Information
      • Rosslare Europort Access Road
      • National Roads Liaison Office
    • Parking and Parking Fines
      • Pay a Parking Fine
      • Appeal a Parking Fine
      • Parking Byelaws
        • Parking Byelaws 2018 – Enniscorthy
        • Parking Byelaws 2018 – Gorey
        • Parking Byelaws 2018 – New Ross
        • Parking Byelaws 2018 – Wexford
      • Resident Parking Permits
      • Accessible Parking Spaces
    • Street Lighting Faults
    • Licences and Permits
      • Application to use Bus/Coach Stop
      • Finger Post Advertising Signs
      • Hoarding, Fence or Scaffolding Licence.
      • Appliance Licence on, over or along a Public Road
      • Road Opening Licence
      • Abnormal Load Permit
      • Table and Chairs Licence for Public Spaces
      • Apply for a Temporary Road Closure
    • Speed Limits
      • Special Speed Limits Public Consultation Report 2018
      • Current County Wexford Special Speed Limits 2008 Bye Laws
      • Road Works Speed Limit Orders
    • Cycling and Public Transport
      • Journey Planner for Public Transport
      • EuroVelo Cycle Route
      • Bike Week
      • Cycling Safety Campaign
      • Nine Stones Cycle Loop
      • Cycle Without Age Initiative
    • Winter Service Plan
  • Waste & Recycling
    • Wexford County Council Draft Waste Presentation Bye-Laws 2018
    • Report Illegal Dumping
    • Recycling & Waste Disposal Centres
      • Wexford Recycling Centre – Holmestown
      • Gorey Recycling Centre
      • Enniscorthy Recycling Centre
      • New Ross Recycling Centre
      • Bring Bank Locations
      • List of authorised waste facilities
    • Bin Collection Services
    • Skips
    • Waste Prevention & Composting
      • Greener Cleaning
      • Greener Gardening
      • Home Composting
      • Repair Directory
    • Wexford County Council Litter -Management Plan 2017-2019
  • Housing
    • Council Tenants
      • Local Support & Advice to Tenants.
      • Repair/Maintenance of Houses
        • County Councils Responsibility
        • I want to alter my Council House
        • Make a Repair Request
        • Tenants Responsibility
      • Anti-Social Behaviour
      • Disabled Persons Adaptation Scheme.
      • House Transfers and Swaps
        • Request to Move
        • Swap between two tenants
      • I want to buy my Council Home
      • Rent
        • Contact Rents Section
        • How is My Rent Calculated?
        • Rent Arrears
        • Rent Review 2018
        • Ways to Pay my Rent
        • What if my circumstances change?
      • What if a tenant dies or leaves?
    • Housing Grants
      • Housing Aid for Older People Grant
      • Mobility Aids Housing Grant
      • People with a Disability – Housing Adaptation Grant
    • Mortgages
      • Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan – Purchase
      • Rebuilding Ireland Home Loan – Construction
        • Single applicant
        • Joint applicant
    • Advice on Housing Options
      • Get local advice on housing options
      • How do I get on the housing list?
      • Emergency Accommodation
      • Housing for Persons with a Disability
      • Traveller Accommodation
      • Social Work Service
    • Private Rented Accommodation
      • I have a concern about the standard of my rented accommodation
      • I have a rent dispute with my landlord or tenant
      • HAP – Housing Assistance Payment
    • Landlords
      • I want to sell or lease a property
      • Repair and Leasing Initiative
  • Environment
    • Air, Water and Noise Pollution
      • Air Pollution
        • Air Quality Monitoring
        • Make an Air Pollution Complaint
        • Smoky Coal Regulations
        • Volatile Organic Solvents
      • Noise Pollution
        • Make a noise complaint
      • Water Pollution
        • Make an Water Pollution Complaint
        • Water Pollution Licence Application
    • Beaches
      • Summer Fun At Curracloe
      • Beaches – Blue Flag, Green Coast and Identified Bathing Waters
        • Ballinesker Beach
        • Ballymoney Beach
        • Cahore Beach
        • Carne Beach
        • Courtown Beach
        • Curracloe Beach
        • Duncannon Beach
        • Morriscastle Beach
        • Rosslare Strand
        • Kilmore Quay
      • Beach Wheelchairs
      • Beach Bye-Laws
      • Harbours and Piers
        • Harbour Maps
    • Biodiversity, Community and Schools
      • Biodiversity
        • Biodiversity Action Plan 2013-2018
        • Habitats and Protected sites
        • Hedgecutting and Tree Felling
        • Invasive Species
        • Life Lives On The Edge
      • Community and Schools
        • Environment Grants
          • Trees for Wexford Campaign
          • Waste Prevention Grant Scheme 2018
          • Planting Grants for voluntary groups
        • National Spring Clean 2018
        • Keep Wexford Beautiful Competition
        • Food Waste Prevention – Primary Schools Competition
        • Food Waste Prevention – Schools Competition
        • Food Waste Prevention – Secondary Schools Competition
        • Green Dog Walker Scheme
        • Posters and Leaflets
      • Citizen Science
    • Animal Control
      • Advice for Horse Owners
      • Animal Bye-laws
      • Dog Licences
      • Dog Warden and Stray Dog Shelter
      • Re-Homing a Rescue Dog
      • Restricted Dog Breed Information
      • Register of Dog Breeding Establishments
    • Septic tanks
      • Register your septic tank
      • Septic tank grants
      • Septic tank inspections
    • Environment Contact Details
  • Council & Democracy
    • Public Representative Information
      • Contact a Councillor
      • Contact a Wexford Member of the Oireachtas
      • Councillor Ethics Register
      • Councillor Meeting Attendance Record
      • Councillors Expenses
    • Revised Electoral Areas 2018
    • Job Vacancies
    • Freedom of Information (FOI) & Data Protection
      • Publication Scheme
      • Access to Information on the Environment
      • Confidentiality and Freedom of Information
      • Contact the Freedom of Information Office
      • Data Protection – GDPR
        • Departmental Privacy Statements
      • Disclosure Log of FOI Requests
      • FOI Fees and Charges
      • Make a FOI Request/Appeal a Decision
      • Re-use of Public Sector Information (PSI)
    • Council Plans, Publications and Reports
      • County Council Meeting Minutes
      • Annual Reports
      • Annual Service Delivery Plan
      • Budget and Schedule of Charges
      • Chief Executive’s Monthly Reports
      • Corporate Plans
      • Annual Financial Statements
      • Local Community Development Committee Minutes
      • Economic & Community Investment Programme
      • Strategic Policy Committee (SPC) & Joint Policing Committee (JPC) Minutes
      • Municipal District Meeting Minutes
    • Customer Care and Complaints
      • Customer Charter
      • Equal Status Policy
      • Make a Customer Complaint
      • Ombudsman Complaints
      • Standards of Service
    • Voting, Elections and Register of Electors
      • Are you registered to vote?
      • Contact the Register of Electors Office
      • Postal Voters and Voters with Physical disabilities or illness
      • Electoral Area Maps
    • Lobbying
    • Procurement, Finance and Credit Control
      • Council Spend
      • Finance Department
      • Public Spending Code Reports
    • Municipal and Borough District Offices
      • Borough District of Wexford Office
      • Enniscorthy Municipal District
      • Gorey Municipal District
      • New Ross Municipal District
    • Strategic Policy Committees (SPCs)
  • Business
    • Business Supports and Grants
      • Support for Small Business and Startups
      • Market Research and Company Information.
      • Business Information Services
    • Rates & Reval 2019
      • Pay my Rates Bill
      • Rates Incentive Scheme
        • General Rates Incentive Scheme 2018
        • Special Rates Incentive Scheme for the Former Enniscorthy Town Council Rating Area
        • Special Rates Incentive Scheme for the Former New Ross Town Council Rating Area
      • Rates Revaluation 2019
      • Vacant Premises Application (VPA Form)
      • Vacant Property Incentive Scheme
      • Transfer of Interest in a Rateable Property
      • Contact Rates
    • Economic Development Projects
      • Trinity Wharf Development
      • Crescent Quay – Public Realm Improvement
      • Wexford Quays – Economic and Spatial Strategy
      • Templeshannon Regeneration
      • Gorey Market House
      • Enniscorthy Tourism Project
      • New Ross Advanced Technology Building
      • Enniscorthy Business & Technology Park
    • Business Permits and Licences
    • Tourism Support
    • Business and Economic Development Contacts
  • Community
    • Public parks and playgrounds
      • Playgrounds
        • Find a Playground
        • Report a Playground Issue
      • Library Park, New Ross
      • Enniscorthy Promenade Playground
      • Gorey Town Park
      • New Ross Town Park
      • Redmond Park, Wexford
    • Plans, Reports and Committees
      • Committees
        • Wexford Local Community Development Committee
          • About Wexford Local Community Development Committee (LCDC)
          • Members of the Local Community Development Committee (LCDC)
          • LCDC Initiatives
          • SICAP 2018 – 2022
      • Plans and Reports
        • Economic and Community Monitor
        • Playground Strategy 2017-2022 & Development Guide
        • Wexford Age Friendly Strategy
        • Wexford Local Economic and Community Plan (LECP)
          • Wexford Local Economic and Community Plan
          • Strategic Environmental Assessment Screening Report
          • Local Economic and Community Plan – High Level Goals
          • Appropriate Assessment Screening Report and Determination
        • Wexford Socio-Economic Baseline Report
    • Public Participation Network (PPN)
    • Public Swimming Pools and Gyms
      • Outdoor Gyms
      • Public Swimming Pools and Leisure Centres
    • Recreational & Community Development Projects
      • Wexford Arts Centre
      • Min Ryan Park, Wexford
      • Carrigfoyle Activity Centre
      • New Ross to Redbridge Greenway
      • Rosslare to Waterford City Greenway
      • Proposed Wexford to Curracloe Greenway
    • Supports, Grants and Awards
      • Community Enhancement Programme 2018
      • Local Agenda 21 Environmental Partnership Fund 2018
      • LEADER Programme 2014 -2020
      • Amenity & Arts Grant Schemes 2018
      • Residents Associations Grants Scheme
      • Town & Village Renewal Scheme
      • Pride of Place
        • About Pride of Place
        • Pride of Place – Awards
    • Contact Community Development
    • Sports Active Wexford
    • Naming Consultation – Gorey Inner Relief Road
  • Arts & Culture
    • About Us & Contacts
    • Current programmes, plans & events
      • Rate Me
      • What is Life Exhibition
      • Wexford Cultural Companions
      • Creative Ireland Wexford – Culture & Creativity Plan
      • Launch of New Wexford Film Locations Website
      • Music Generation is Coming to Wexford!
      • Public Art
        • County Wexford Art Collection
        • Per Cent for Art Scheme
      • Culture Night 2018 – Expression of Interest
      • Advancing the Arts
    • Grants & opportunities
      • Creative Ireland Cultural Heritage & Bliain na Gaeilge Scheme 2018
      • Per Cent for Art Commission
      • Living Arts Project – Arts and Education
      • Creative Communities Programme
      • Print Service for non-profit Arts Organisations
      • ArtLinks Bursaries 2018
      • Join Arts Department Database
      • Drama League of Ireland scholarships
      • Wexford County Council Arts Office in association with Bodecii Film announces
  • Emergency Services
    • Civil Defence
    • Fire Services
      • Contact the Fire Service
      • Dangerous Substance Licence and Fees
      • Fire Brigade Charges
      • Fire Safety Certificates
        • Apply for Regularisation Certificate & Statutory Declaration
        • Apply for a Fire Safety Certificate
        • Apply for a Revised Fire Safety Certificate
        • Fire Safety Certificate Fees
      • Becoming a Retained Firefighter
      • Fire Safety Resources
    • Major Emergency Plan
      • Storm Ophelia Updates
      • Wexford Prepares for Storm Eleanor
      • Storm Emma Updates
  • Water Services
    • Group Scheme Grants
    • Water Quality Results
    • Well Grants
    • Connect to Public Water Supply and Sewerage
  • Access For All
    • Access Contacts and Publications
      • Accessibility Contacts
      • Awards
      • Publications
    • Accessible Services
      • Access for All Gardens, Parks & Community Spaces
      • Accessible Public Toilets
      • Access elearning module for Transition Year
    • Accessible Works
  • Burial Grounds
    • Burial Ground Strategy and Bye-Laws
    • Council Burial Grounds with Caretakers/Registrars
    • Types of Burial Grounds in County Wexford
  • Events Management
    • Apply to host an event in a public space
    • Events Management Guide
  • Local Property Tax 2018 – make a submission
  • Maps
    • Maps Gallery
    • Maps on your mobile
    • iMAPs – public mapviewer
  • Re-Opening of Enniscorthy Promenade Playground
  • Agents Portal
    • Building Control Seminar June 2018
      • Presentations
      • Other Documents
    • Planning Information Forum November 2016

Skip to main content
Accessibility Statement

Money Advice Service logo

Your Money Advice home page


car tax disc

  • Tags

  • Tax

  • Cars

Car tax – Timing it right, reminders and biscuits. Your reaction to the end of the paper tax disc

You no longer need to display a tax disc in your car and you can’t pass on existing tax when you sell your motor. Just two of the changes to car taxation that you had your say about.

The topic of car tax and tax discs has proven popular with our readers, and our article on the recent changes received hundreds of comments.

The different tax bands explained

Some of your responses were really useful so we’ve rounded up the best comments that give you tips and tricks to stay on top of car tax – or VED (Vehicle Excise Duty).

How to avoid paying two months of car tax when you buy a new car

One of the most controversial changes surrounded “double taxing”.

Sellers and buyers can no longer transfer existing tax when a car is sold. Instead the buyer must tax the car themselves and the old owner can apply for a refund.

However, new tax is now backdated (no space) to the beginning of the month and refunds are from the start of the next. This means if you sell and then buy a car early in the month, you will be paying tax twice in that period.

A few readers suggested waiting until the end of the month and then applying for a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification). Any vehicle that has a SORN doesn’t have to pay tax, as long as it meets the requirements and is kept in a garage, drive or private land. The buyer then pays for the car and gets it taxed at the start of the new month.

It worked for George, who shared this story of transferring a car to his son:

“I SORN’d the car last Friday 29th May on-line & received e-mail confirmation of the SORN instantly.

Today 1st June my son re-taxed the car online using new keeper slip reference numbers. No problems at all.

He paid the new tax from today, I get a full refund on my remaining 7 months tax June-Dec. The DVLA did not get that double V.E.D for May. Ha Ha!!”

Useful advice from George, though this could be tricky if you’re selling the car and people want to test drive it.

How to remember to pay

The end of the tax disc was a disappointment to many, not least those worried they’d now forget to renew.

Joe had this solution:

“… if some people need reminding get some stickers that are used on envelopes parcels etc and write the dates on that you need… Simply stick it at the top right of the windscreen… Car dealers have been putting similar stickers in the top right of screen for many years.”

Of course you can also pay by Direct Debit, so it’ll automatically keep your car taxed, though don’t forget to let the DVLA know of any changes.

How to tell if a car is taxed or not

Some readers were concerned they wouldn’t know if a car was taxed.

Rabbit responded:

“You can go on to see if a car is taxed. If it’s not you can report it on line to DVLA.”

Here’s the link to check if a car is taxed .

What to do with the tax disc holder

Finally, a few people were at a loss what to do with their old tax disc holder. We liked these ideas from Honour:

“So now that many of us have an empty little pocket attached to our windscreen "on the left side of the vehicle forward of the driver", as described in an early Road Traffic Act, what are we going to do with it?

We could fill it with a photograph of a favourite pet or, use it to make a political statement or ask for donations to a charity close to our heart or, my best idea, would be to keep a digestive biscuit there for emergency use. Beware of using a chocolate digestive. That could be very messy.”

Tax is just one extra cost to consider when buying a car. Our Car cost calculator will help you work out the bigger picture

Do you have any more tips to cut the cost of motoring? Let us know below

Andy Webb

Published by

Andy Webb


  • Share this article on Facebook
  • Share this article on Twitter
  • Share this article on Pinterest
  • Share this article on Google+
  • View RSS feed
  • Print this article
  • Share this article by email

You might also like

Don’t let car tax disc mistakes get you clamped

Have you still got your paper tax disc?

TOOL: Work out the full cost of buying a car

What do you think?

We really want you to share your views, but please remember to be nice ☺
All fields are required. Check out our full commenting guidelines

  • Carole-Anne Cantrell /
    9 July

    Is it true if you have a car with disabled tax on you are not allowed to us that car without them being in it. I know that you could drive it if you took the blue badges out if the disabled person was not in. But someone as told my husband you are not allowed to use it at all with out the disabled person is that true.

    Report Comment

  • KULLY /
    5 June

    I think the road tax should start when you apply for it not 1st of month ?

    the law should change ?

    Report Comment

  • John Baldwin /
    28 March

    I feel that with all of the online services avaliable now, one should be able to tax the car from the DATE not BY THE MONTH, it is just another stealth tax by this ever more corrupt government making us pay more for less.

    Road tax for example just 6% if we are lucky is spent on the roads, yet they find ever increasing ways of ripping us off for being on the road.

    Report Comment

  • John Baldwin /
    28 March

    I feel that with all of the online services avaliable noe, one should be able to tax the car from the DATE not BY THE MONTH, it is just another stealth tax by this ever more corrupt government making us pay more for less.

    Road tax for example just 6% if we are lucky is spent on the roads, yet they find ever increasing ways of ripping us off for being on the road.

    Report Comment

  • Andy /
    23 February

    Just a reminder about buying a car from someone who is DISABLED and is tax EXEMPT. You will NOT be able to tax the vehicle online UNTIL you receive the V5 document of which can take up to 5 weeks. However….the disabled ‘TAX-EXEMPT’ will STILL be valid until you receive the V5 from the DVLA and it is in your name. **note** Even if you go through the painstaking process of finding your nearest DVLA office and explain the situation, and fill out the relevant form, the fact remains that even up until you receive the V5 – the vehicle will still be tax exempt until the NEW vehicle owner goes through the system. As long as you are insured and have MOT then you should be fine until the new V5 arrives. It’s unlikely you will be pulled over by the police unless you are caught violating the rules of the road…but if you do get pulled over randomly, then it’s not your fault that you have to wait for the V5 changeover. Always keep a sale of receipt and your green small V5 slip as proof. Just thought I would mention this as many who buy a disabled class vehicle are oblivious as what to do.

    Report Comment

  • carl willett /
    26 December 2017

    I am buying a car on 30th December so will need tax from this date, does the new system allow me to start from 30th or would they expect me to lose a month, should I wait until 1st January to collect my car?

    Report Comment

  • Mark /
    16 November 2017

    I sold my car back to the Toyota garage and purchased a new one which was the 20th Aug 17. We filled out the stub on the VC5 Form and posted it off on the 21st Aug. The road tax on my old vehicle was due on the 31st Aug. I go a reminder through and subsequently advised them I was no longer the keeper of the vehicle, they sent an acknowledgement of this letter to me. I then received one week later a fine for not taxing the vehicle that i did not even have. Is this right or can i appeal?

    Report Comment

  • John /
    28 September 2017

    I got a another car in 20 09 17 and I just got tax reminder but I don’t want to tax it until the 1 10 17 were do I stand

    Report Comment

  • Terry /
    23 August 2017

    No mention of the tax paid till the end of the month nor the beginning of the sorn. One would expect the vehicle to be usable until the tax is no longer paid for.

    Report Comment

  • Ben /
    6 August 2017

    I have just bought a car for my daughter, we have the log book but I have noticed you can change ownership online? I have just started a direct debit up to pay the tax on it each month, my question is… by taxing the car in the new keeper section does that automatically transfer ownership or do I still need to send off the V5C?

    Report Comment

  • Zac /
    1 August 2017

    I used the DVLA online chat help service to ask if I sold my car today (1st of the month), would I have to pay tax for the whole month. She said no, only the new owner would be responsible. So transfer your ownership on the 1st of the month and then apply for a refund for any tax overpaid!

    Report Comment

  • Matt /
    31 July 2017

    You cannot declare SORN and then tax it the next day online. Once you declare SORN you are barred from further transactions online for a period of 5 days. According to the .gov web site you can tax your vehicle at the post office during this time though.

    Report Comment

  • Tom /
    21 July 2017

    There is another effect whereby you ‘lose’ a month’s tax on a vehicle if you tax it at the end of the month (it will need to be renewed at the end of the preceding month the following year.

    The whole thing about working in round months is just a money-making nonsense, carrying over a concept from paper discs into a computerised system where it is irrelevant. There is NO REASON at all why any given vehicle’s expiry & renewal could not happen on any day of the month, with no backdating or wasted outlay! Angry!!

    Report Comment

  • Caroline /
    21 June 2017

    I also firmly disagree with the ‘double taxing’ whammy and the DVLA should be hauled over the coals for this – apparently TV licensing also do this.

    I am transferring my car to my son at 23.59 on the 30th June 2017 and he will be the new owner at 00.01 on the 1st July 2017. The DVLA cannot argue with that, surely?

    Report Comment

  • Pauntley ginder /
    18 June 2017

    I have to say that this double tax is criminal, we had just set up the payments for the now sold car, so will pay a full month on the sold car and now have re done the tax for the new car so will be paying tax a second time for the same month…Why is this system set up in this way, computing systems are clever enough to enable them to put a stop to this.

    In the end the government is creating a situation where if as your story indicates, buying a car you then then keeping it off the roads, even tho you have paid road tax for at least one car and then sit around for days,or weeks until you take it off soon…this is so stupid it is ridiculous and creates frustration, dissatisfaction and potentially law breaking, I guess…

    Surely once a person has paid the tax for any given month, the Gove should restart the tax for the new car the proceeding month….adjusting where necessary!!!

    Pretty fed up with the government especially the dumb tories who are really looking more and more out of date, stupid and even HATED by the many not the few…

    All my love


    Report Comment

  • Claire Taylor /
    30 May 2017


    I taxed my car on 29 June 2016 to start 1 July 2016. Dvla have now said my tax runs out 31 May 2017 to start 1 June 2017. That means I have lost a month. How can this be avoided.

    Report Comment

  • Helen Stacey /
    14 May 2017

    i bought a car today (14-5-17) and want to backdate the tax, but can’t find how to backdate it, so i can use the car to get to work tomorrow. how do i do this online?

    Report Comment

  • David Bowley /
    22 April 2017

    Today’s date 22nd April 2017

    Can I choose the date I wish my renewed Tax to start.

    E.G My vehicle currently under a SORN,

    I want to renew the vehicle Tax to commence on 27th April, at local Post Office.

    On what date before 27th April can I do this. Trying to do it online and it would have been back dated to 1st April !!

    Report Comment

  • david francis john morgan /
    3 April 2017

    I am buying a new car end of April. I asked the dealer to tax it May the 1st he said the day you tax it is the day it runs out the following year is this true

    Report Comment

  • Gary Rutherford /
    30 March 2017

    Got 6 mnth tax on 30th march due 1St September been robbed a mnth

    Report Comment

  • Peter Wilcox /
    25 March 2017

    I have to say I am not impressed by any ‘tip’ I just read. Either you wait with your shiny new car until the last two days of the month, or pay for a month you didn’t use.

    Either way it causes resentment from honest people. Feeling penalised for paying a tax is a mistake they should put right.

    Report Comment

  • Graham Bowells /
    7 March 2017

    I asked the dvla many years ago why I couldn’t buy 365 days of tax. They couldn’t give me a answer then and said that they would get back to me. Still waiting.

    Report Comment

  • David Helm /
    21 February 2017

    I think that road tax should be either added to fuel,in the theory thatif you use more fuel,you use the road more ,less fuel ,less.

    Or taxed on a day rate ,if you case to use a vehicle due to ownership change ,you inform DVLA by whatever means ,then the new owner/trader then becomes liable fom that day if they intend to use the vehicle on public roads.

    By either method the DVLA are not receiving 2 lots of revenue on the same monthfor the same vehicle .

    Ona different point the Government encouraged us the public to buy modern vehicles with lower emmisions giving low road tax.

    In the manner the government often does,(move the Goalposts) ,once again in a recent budget the chancellor has changed this ,And from 1st april 2017 car registered which previously attracted a lower rate will be charged more in the first year and even more thereon.

    Which Lends fuel to my previous point add road tax to fuel ,

    Older less efficient cars burn more fuel and pollute more ,and modern more efficient cars less ,but the more you use fuel and the roads creating more Co2 the more yoeu pay .

    I dont believe its fair that the Elderly person who uses his car very little ,should pay as much as the company Rep who does 70,000 + a year .

    Report Comment

  • wILL /
    26 January 2017

    I am buying a new car at the end of March. The snag is my existing car is only taxed till the end of February. Is there any way of not having to pay for one moths road tax on my existing car?

    I know I could SORN it but then I won’t be able to drive for a month.

    Report Comment

    10 December 2016

    TAX DISC According to the Agency’s records this vehicle is in the nil tax class and although you may be exempt from payment of duty, a valid licence must be displayed. failure to have an exempt licence is an offence contrary to section 43A. can you tell me where to get a exempt licence for DEC 2015 to 2016. Pensioner. Thanking you

    Report Comment

  • mr Peter n Anderson /
    30 November 2016

    Absolutely outrageous, you buy a car on the 15th and pay from the 1st , typical of this country pay for everything twice, and the bloody government keeps saying were a country of low taxation, how about a referendum on car tax wonder if then they would accept no tax means no tax, better still make all those brexit supporters pay extra for all the money everyone is definitely going to lose

    Report Comment

  • Mark Stranks /
    27 November 2016

    Have I got this right ?

    I am taking ownership of a car on 03/12/2016. I have the V5C/2 document and want have the car taxed (starting 01/12/2016).

    When I try to do this on-line I can’t find an option for doing so. It seems that the new tax will be valid from 01/11/2016.

    Am I missing something, or are the DVLA ripping me off ?

    Report Comment

  • Robert Tinsley /
    10 November 2016

    if you date the transfer is the last day of month the d.v.l.a receive after that date you loose that month so the only way out is lie about the date of transfer day light robery

    Report Comment

  • Beverly cooke -Morgan /
    9 November 2016

    I cannot find my tax reminder, how do I still tax my car.

    Where do I get help

    Report Comment

  • Tracey Hinton /
    5 November 2016

    I was told I had to renew my road tax by 01/10/16 and I paid the 6 months which was £126.50, then I receive a reminder that my road tax is due on 30/11/16 so Ian out of pocket for almost two months, surely this is unfair and does anyone know how to and if i can claim this back, 😡

    Report Comment

  • Steve /
    27 October 2016

    How can the government justify double paying for taxing a car. I just bought car from father in law and i he has lost out his rebate for october (so has paid government that money for that month) and i have just been asked to pay the same mo th again plus 11 months. This is surely ethically wrong and fraud. Why does a vehicle need to padouble for being on a road. Its not as if it was used twice as much or anything. Please can someone justify it…

    Report Comment

  • Graham /
    6 October 2016

    I see other ‘victims ‘ are also loosing out for a month on road tax !

    Why and how are they allowed to do this ?

    And when you try ringing it’s useless , long waiting for a person to speak to , and they are on a 0300 number which means you are paying 12p per minute charge ,

    Can this goverment dept be taken to task on all this diabolical situation !!

    Report Comment

  • Graham /
    6 October 2016

    My current road tax was paid up to 26/11/ 2016 , why have I had a reminder from DVLA saying

    it is due for 30/10/ 2016 ?

    Can you advise please .

    Report Comment

  • roman /
    5 October 2016

    i taxed my car 31.5.16 , get reminder saying runs out 31.10.16, which is not fair get 5 months instead of 6

    Report Comment

  • Harry loten /
    25 September 2016

    Can I asked how George done the swap to son’s car have asked my son same question and he has told me this can not be done if the car is put in ur name u have to go to the post office for 1st time tax on a car u have just bought

    Report Comment

  • Sebastian /
    31 August 2016

    it is nice and easy to do all. Great, and safe a lot of time

    Report Comment

  • David Ninnis /
    29 August 2016

    Ref George transferring a car to his son:

    “I SORN’d the car last Friday 29th May on-line & received e-mail confirmation of the SORN instantly.

    Today 1st June my son re-taxed the car online using new keeper slip reference numbers. No problems at all.

    Do you have to transfer the vehicle firstly into your sons name before he can tax it.

    Report Comment

  • Sajid /
    27 July 2016

    I paid the road tax on 27 July 16 and it finishing on 1 July 17 11 month road tax and charging for price of 12 month.

    Thats really sad and poor system by dvla that’s open cheatin.

    Report Comment

  • M Donald /
    18 July 2016

    I bought a car privately on 29 June that required some major work and would be off the road for 2 or 3 weeks. On 30th went online to complete SORN but was advised that the car was still registered to previous owner. Tried again a week later, with the same response. The V5C arrived 2 days ago with reminder about taxing it. As the car will be ready to go in a few days, I thought I may as well tax it – but online or by phone, am advised that it’s due to be taxed from 1 June. Have done a SORN for now and will do it manually from a post office, paying from 1 July. I expect however, that DVLA will chase it up. Where do I stand?

    Report Comment

  • Brenda /
    5 July 2016

    My partner has paid his car tax and my daughter paid it as well. How do they get a refund

    Report Comment

  • James Hill /
    28 June 2016

    Applied for Tax on 29/06/2016. Tax starts on 01/06/2016. Are you having a laugh DVLA?

    The system is fully stored on a computer these days,previously with Paper discs you were forced to have 1st of month, makes sense has the discs are printed.

    Now in 2016, you mean to tell me you can’t simply have a Tax registered date of the date purchased?

    Rip off!!

    Report Comment

  • Nick W /
    22 June 2016

    Now that there is no need to print tax discs, there is absolutely no excuse for the tax not to start on any day of the month. I’m about to buy a scooter, but as it is already the 22nd day of the month, I will wait 9 days before taxing it, which seems rather ridiculous in the present circumstances.

    Report Comment

  • Sarah Wills /
    8 June 2016

    Same here, we purchased our car on the 27th July and had 12 months tax, just received a reminder to say our tax is due 30 June, so why do we pay for 12 months tax when it’s clearly 11 months?????

    Report Comment

  • susie /
    24 April 2016

    hi everyone,

    Im trying to tax my car online….

    it is currently taxed and i pay monthly, i wish to change my bank for direct debit. It tells me to start a whole new claim but when i do this it tells me my car is already taxed yeah i know this… Problem is it says my new tax dosent start till next month? Does this mean i wont be covered until 1st of april or will my old tax be cancelled automatically when the new one starts or will it be cancelled straight away? Its such a pain why cant they just let you change your direct debit for gods sake!!

    Report Comment

  • mary /
    22 April 2016

    rubbish been waiting on the phone almost an hour,to talk to someone.near an hour now

    Report Comment

  • gabriel /
    21 April 2016

    hi i gest bought one car 19/04 19 00 hour and next morning at 10 00 clock my car was taket from local autority because i heave no tax the car and i don t know if this is right if anyone now more about this please tell me if is right the car was in public road front of my house for one night thanks

    Report Comment

  • Stuart Cunliffe /
    9 April 2016

    I think the Government is stealing money . . . absolutely no need for it

    Report Comment

  • Martyn B /
    6 April 2016

    This is ridiculous. Bought my car last year on 28 May and bought twelve months tax. Reminder today that it expires on the 30 April – so effectively 11 months and 2 days tax for the cost of 12 months – all due to back dating. Perhaps I should have not bothered taxing my car for a few days and joined to mass of illegal drivers who don’t bother paying…

    Report Comment

  • James Ewan Brown /
    29 March 2016

    Hi,im selling my car on the 30th of march,i was wondering how does the new owner avoid having to pay an additional months tax? Im paying it by direct debit monthly. Should i just keep it going until the end of the month and then cancel my direct debit and then tell them to buy a tax disc then? Will it be alright for them to drive with my tax disc as my insurance covers it?

    Report Comment

  • Catherine Murray /
    26 March 2016

    Hi! I Jst bought a new car! How early can I tax it v 4 the end/start of the month without loosing the current month?

    Report Comment

    23 March 2016

    The DVLA is absolutely hopeless, and should be abolished. To add my 6p worth – now there is no road tax disc, it is not always possible to remember when it is due ( especially if you have a few vehicles ). At least it used to be staring at you from the windscreen every time you drove. You can’t rely on DVLA to tell you when it is due for renewal – what you can rely on though is for them to send you a hefty fine if you forget . Today – I was thinking to myself – one of my bikes might be due for renewal at end of March but I have had no reminder -I will check on line. Result – DVLA says it is SORN ( which it was in Sept 2015 ) but I taxed it on-line on 4th Oct 2015 for 6 months. AND I printed off the DVLA Confirmation, AND I checked that they took the money from my Bank account. As it happens I have not used the bike since I taxed it due to mechanical problem, but if I had, and been spotted by ANPR or stopped by Police, what a palaver that would have involved in sorting that one. As it is I just now need to calm down before I phone the most unhelpful Government Dept ever invented and ask for my money back…………… fat chance I know.

    Report Comment

  • Pete /
    1 March 2016

    Hi Andy I have just taxed my car tonight and it says it will need renewing 01.02.2017. So I have lost a month

    Report Comment

  • cazza /
    29 February 2016

    Id i tax a car today 29th febraury when does the tax start from as its a leap year?

    Report Comment

  • neil alleb /
    27 February 2016

    just bought car on 26th Feb 2016 and taxed it . they have charged me tax from 1st Feb . I never owned car till now so how can that be lawful

    Report Comment